Given below are the steps to apply for the CMA (US) examination:
- Pay IMA Membership Fees
When the candidate has decided to take the examination, he or she may join the IMA as a professional member. If the candidate is a resident of USA or Canada and is below 33 years of age, he or she should opt for the Young Professional Member category. If the candidate is a current student, he or she may apply for the student discount, which is applicable to candidates across the world.
The steps are as given below:
- Select home country.
- Select the appropriate membership category and click Join Today.
- Click Join to confirm the selection and continue with the application.
- Fill out the online application form.
- The candidate will receive a confirmation email regarding successful enrolment as a member of the IMA.
The online application form asks for personal and professional information, and information related to education, job designation and responsibilities and other professional credentials. The form will take around 15 minutes to fill.
- Join the CMA (US) Program
Becoming a member of the IMA does not automatically start the examination process. For this, the candidate needs to enrol in the CMA (US) program. The candidate should join the program only when he or she is ready to take the examination.
Once the candidate enrols and pays the entrance fee, he or she must—take the CMA (US) examination within 12 months; and complete the CMA (US) program within 3 years.
The candidate must also pay the CMA (US) Entrance Fee which is $240 for professional membership. He or she will receive a confirmation mail regarding successful enrolment in the CMA (US) program. The email will contain instructions on how to access the CMA (US) examination support package.
- Register for the Examination Parts
Post enrolling in the program, the candidate may register for the examination, which consists of two parts:
- Part 1: Financial Planning, Performance, and Control
- Part 2: Financial Decision Making
A candidate may take any part first, depending on his or her comfort level. A candidate may take both parts within the same testing window if he or she feels confident enough to do so. The candidate can register online, via phone by providing credit card information, or by sending the registration form through mail or fax.
In brief, the steps are as follows:
- Select which examination parts to take and the testing window.
- Pay the registration fees for the examination, which is $395 per part.
- Candidate will receive an email confirming successful registration.
- Locate Test Centre and Fix Schedule
After registering for the examination, the candidate can schedule the date and time to take the examination at any of the Prometric centres in the USA and other countries. The centres are open on weekdays during the following months:
- January and February
- May and June
- September and October
The candidate, if he or she wishes to, can cancel the scheduled examination within 72 hours. A refund (less $25 for administrative fees) will be available within 30 days of registration.